Subject: Rebinding a large book in sections

Rebinding a large book in sections

From: Melina Avery <melina-avery<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 26, 2011
I am trying to develop a treatment plan for a rather unusual book
right now, and am hoping to get some advice from conservators who
have carried out similar projects. The volume is 68 x 51 x 4 cm in
size and very heavy. The pages are stab-sewn in five sections of
about six sheets each. The paper is strong and heavy, and each
section is intact. The sewing holding the sections to one another
and the adhesive between the textblock and spine lining has failed,
and the sections were fully or partially detached from one another
and from the cover when I started the project.

The curators and I want the book rebound and functional, and we want
to retain as much of the original structure as possible. I have
removed the textblock sections from the case and detached them from
one another, but I will not disbind each section. I hope to rebind
the book in its existing stab-sewn sections, either utilizing the
existing sewing holes or lacing through the remaining intact sewing.
Has anyone rebound a book like this? Any advice is appreciated!

Melina Avery
Special Collections Conservation Fellow
Northwestern University Library
1970 Campus Drive