Subject: Funori

Funori

From: Michael Maggen <michaelm<-a>
Date: Saturday, January 22, 2011
Marie Messager <marie.messager [at] gmail__com> writes

>I was wondering about the advantages of the use of funori for
>sizing, alone or in a mix. Does anyone have experience using funori
>or can anyone point to research in this area?

I have used funori to re-attach lifting pigment (primarily indigo)
and gold leaf on Asian folding screens.

When it comes to consolidation of pigments and fragile gold leaf of
14th- 15th century illuminated manuscripts, I could not find a
better consolidate than a mixture of parchment size and funori. This
mixture (70% funori, 30% parchment size V/V) would stabilized the
flaking pigments and gold leaf (and gilding's ground).

The idea of adding the funori to the parchment size came to my mind
as I did not like the shiny effect of parchment size when it dries.
The funori eliminates this effect of gloss up to mixtures of nearly
50% V/V with parchment size.

I did not like as well the effects and the results of using ultra
sonic humidifier or nebulizers for gelatin consolidations--they are
extremely time consuming, hard to operate and poor results. While
the method I suggested can be applied with a fine sable retouching
brush (001-003), for quick drying rate I use a gentle air flow of an
air brush onto the application areas.  Good luck,

Michael Maggen
Head of Paper Conservation.
The Israel Museum Jerusalem,
PO Box  71117