Subject: Tour and talk on modern paper manufacture

Tour and talk on modern paper manufacture

From: Mark Furness <byron117<-a>
Date: Friday, January 14, 2011
"The Science Behind Paper Structure - Modern Paper Manufacture"

A tour of the University of Manchester's papermaking facility
followed by a talk on modern paper manufacture by Steve I'Anson.

Tour of Papermaking Facility
Thursday, 3 February 2011
16.00 (45 minutes- 1hr)

Cost: Free

Meeting point: Foyer of the Renold Building

  <URL:http://www.conference.manchester.ac.uk/
      meetingmanchester/venues/sackvillestreet/renold/>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Assemble here by 15.45, before we move to the Paper Science Building

Talk: 17:00 1-1-2 hours)
Venue: Library Classroom, The Joule Library
Sackville Street Building
The University of Manchester
PO Box 88
Manchester M60 1QD

How to Find us:

  <URL:http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/librarysites/>

Those not attending the tour may like to assemble in the foyer of
the Renold Building, as above, to be collected for the paper talk at
16.45.

Attendance is free but please register beforehand by emailing Mark
Furness mark.furness<-a t->manchester< . >ac< . >uk

Steve I'Anson is a lecturer in the School of Materials at the
University of Manchester whose speciality area is the manufacture
and properties of paper.  Steve's publications are on the structure
of paper and its properties, related to the three stages of
papermaking: forming, pressing and drying.  He has been at the
University of Manchester, and its predecessor UMIST, since 1980
(except for a period of seven years working in the industry) and he
studied for MSc and PhD degrees during this period.

Steve has been Chairman of the last three Fundamental Research
Symposia, the prestigious paper science conferences held alternately
at Oxford and Cambridge Universities.

Follow-up talk, "Paper Properties" February/March 2011 (tbc)

                 Distributed: Friday, January 21, 2011