Subject: Preparing hornets nest for exhibit

Preparing hornets nest for exhibit

From: Simon Moore <couteaufin<-a>
Date: Friday, January 14, 2011
Emily Greenlaw <emily.greenlaw [at] ottawa__ca> writes

>One of our community museums is installing a new permanent exhibit
>and would like to use a hornets' nest in one of the display
>cabinets. Having recently spoken with a staff member at the Museum
>of Nature, it was suggested that one side of the nest be opened and
>the center taken out to remove decaying insects and larva and help
>prevent any further infestation.  Has anyone had any experience with
>doing this and perhaps could provide some guidelines and good tools
>for the job?

Assuming that the nest and occupants are both dead and dried, I have
found that simple consolidation works well.  Using 5% solution of
paraloid b-72 in acetone, pipette this throughout the nest, then
after 48 hours drying time,  repeat the process with 10% paraloid
and leave to dry again.  The nest can then be cut using a sharp and
long knife--non-serrated carving/surgical knife, to reveal the inner
combs and chambers.  You will find that the process will darken the
nest paper somewhat and may add a gloss to the external layers.

Avoid dunking the nest in the consolidant--it will come apart when
you try to remove it!

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural Sciences,
20 Newbury Street,