Subject: Funori

Funori

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 13, 2011
Marie Messager <marie.messager [at] gmail__com> writes

>I was wondering about the advantages of the use of funori for
>sizing, alone or in a mix. Does anyone have experience using funori
>or can anyone point to research in this area?

I have used funori to re-attach lifting pigment (primarily indigo)
and gold leaf on Asian folding screens.

Seaweed for making funori can be purchased at Asian food stores, or
collected at the seashore.

There is some discussion about the preparation and uses of funori in

    Masako Koyano
    Japanese Scroll Paintings
    FAIC, Washington, DC, 1979,

and
        Kenzo Toishi and Hiromitsu Washizuka.
        Characteristics of Japanese Art that Condition its Care
        Japanese Association of Museums, Tokyo, 1987.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab
Portland, Oregon

                 Distributed: Friday, January 21, 2011