Subject: Supports for washing paper

Supports for washing paper

From: Alison Muir <alison.muir<-a>
Date: Friday, January 14, 2011
Caroline de Stefani <caroline.destefani [at] bl__uk> writes

>Currently at the British Library we are carrying out a treatment
>review on washing procedures for papers especially for books. We
>would like to know what kind of washing support (if any) you use and
>what your criteria of selection are of these materials when you wash
>your papers.

My preferred support is Bondina because it gives good support and
allows drainage, so the object can dry undisturbed on it, the
Bondina-supported object placed on blotter. For large objects a
cradle support can be made from a sheet of Bondina by folding over
each of two opposite ends, welding seams with a polyester welder,
and inserting plastic rods inside along the ends by which the cradle
can be held.

Dr Alison Muir
Paper Conservator
National Museums Northern Ireland