Subject: Painted wood carving

Painted wood carving

From: Anne T. Lane <alane<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 6, 2011
I have been asked by a friend for advice in stabilizing and
protecting a large painted wood carving that is being used as decor
at a resort in northern Pennsylvania. It was infested with some kind
of wood borers that have tunneled out behind the painted surface, so
they need to know what to use to fill in these areas; then they
would like to spray (yeah, I know--this is strictly decorative, not
an artifact) something to help consolidate the painted surface.
There is no question of hiring a conservator, this is strictly DIY
territory, but I told her I'd ask the experts what would be good to
use as filler and consolidant. Any advice? Many thanks,

Anne T. Lane
Collections  Manager
The  Charlotte  Museum  of  History
3500  Shamrock  Drive