Subject: Wood borer infestation

Wood borer infestation

From: Angela Musil-Jantjes <angela.musil-jantjes<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 6, 2011
Jennifer Brian <jenniferfbrian [at] gmail__com> writes

>I have come across a large pine log (approximately 1m diameter, 2.5m
>long) with borer infestation. The log is too large for any freezer
>that I have access to and we do not want to use pesticides as it is
>to subsequently be used. I was wondering whether anyone has
>undertaken anoxic, or black bag, treatment of any large wooden
>objects, and how effective they were on objects with a small surface
>area to volume ratio.  If they are ineffective, do you have any
>suggestions for other appropriate treatments?  The treatment will be
>undertaken in-situ before the log is moved for seasoning.

Another method of pest eradication is 'thermolignum', a warm air
treatment applied while controlling humidity.  Check out the website

    <URL:http://www.thermolignum.com/>

The company is based in Germany and UK and also has mobile units to
serve the rest of Europe. Having used their services a few times our
museum has recently purchased a mobile unit from them.

Angela Musil-Jantjes
Konservator / Conservator
+47 2198 2283
Nasjonalmuseet for kunst, arkitektur og design
The National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design
PO Box 7014 (St. Olavs plass)
NO-0130 Oslo

                Distributed: Thursday, January 13, 2011