Subject: Wood borer infestation

Wood borer infestation

From: Rose Smart <rsmart<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 6, 2011
Jennifer Brian <jenniferfbrian [at] gmail__com> writes

>I have come across a large pine log (approximately 1m diameter, 2.5m
>long) with borer infestation. The log is too large for any freezer
>that I have access to and we do not want to use pesticides as it is
>to subsequently be used. I was wondering whether anyone has
>undertaken anoxic, or black bag, treatment of any large wooden
>objects, and how effective they were on objects with a small surface
>area to volume ratio.  If they are ineffective, do you have any
>suggestions for other appropriate treatments?  The treatment will be
>undertaken in-situ before the log is moved for seasoning.

Re 'black bag' treatment: advised by Tom Strang at CCI, we have
treated large quantities of heavy textiles (rugs, military uniforms)
and some wood, in a similar fashion:

    Laid down a 'bed' of 2" Styrofoam SM or (equivalent) outside on
    concrete, against concrete wall of building to trap solar heat

    Laid down vapour barrier

    Laid down objects to be treated

    Covered with black non-breathable tarp, tucked under Styrofoam
    and weighted around edges to prevent billowing in wind

    Inserted cheap digital temperature probes w digital readout

    Waited until solar heating achieved and maintained 60+ degrees
    Centigrade, and left objects minimum 1 hour

    Removed objects and spread out or hung to dry (some felt a bit
    damp)

Generally we keep treated objects bagged against any future
infestation, or in case treatment has failed.  The bag and a tag
indicates that the object was treated, and when.

We have not had any problems with objects treated this way, but
then, we don't know if we would have without treatment, so it is not
definitive. It is however a cheap, easy, harmless treatment and a
lot of objects can be treated in a day--even more if you're not in
eastern Newfoundland where you only have a small window when these
temperatures can be achieved.

Rose Smart
The Rooms
Provincial Museum of Newfoundland and Labrador

                Distributed: Thursday, January 13, 2011