Subject: Conference: The Science of Objects and Collections

Conference: The Science of Objects and Collections

From: Barry Knight <barry.knight<-a>
Date: Wednesday, December 22, 2010
The Science of Objects and Collections

The British Library is pleased to announce that its conservation
research conference "The Science of Objects and Collections" will be
held at The British Library Conference Centre on Monday 11 April
2011.

The conference will explore two linked themes: understanding the
nature of objects, and understanding the nature of collections. What
can we learn about the behaviour of whole collections by studying
individual objects, and what can we learn about individual objects
by studying whole collections?

Topics to be covered include the use of spectroscopy and
multi-spectral imaging to reveal more about the nature of objects,
statistical methods for understanding the nature of collections, and
the influences of the environment on collections.  The full
programme will be available shortly.

The conference fee will be UKP80 + VAT, including lunch and
refreshments; concessions UKP60 + VAT.  For further details and
bookings, please contact Teresa Harrington <Teresa.Harrington<-a t->bl< . >uk>

Conference organiser:

    Dr Barry Knight
    Head of Conservation Research
    The British Library