Subject: Gaskets and alcohol

Gaskets and alcohol

From: Simon Moore <couteaufin<-at->
Date: Monday, November 30, 2009
Louis Sorkin <sorkin [at] amnh__org> writes

>Does anyone have any information on gaskets and alcohol storage (for
>specimens)?  ...
>...  The gasket can
>become gooey, hardened, discolored and the alcohol also discolors
>and becomes "greasy" or cloudy. ...

I have come across this problem before with Le Parfait jars which
fit the description of Mason jars.  The older-style rubber gaskets,
for use in museum fluid collections, have been superseded by black
coloured gaskets  of EPDM (Ethylene-propylene-Diene-monomer) and
these should not leach phthalates or lead to discolouration,
vulcanisation, etc.  As for tubes, I never use any form of bung
except those made from nylon.

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR
20 Newbury Street,
Whitchurch RG28 7DN