Subject: Exhibiting raw wool

Exhibiting raw wool

From: Megan Mcintosh <mcin0179<-at->
Date: Friday, November 27, 2009
We are developing an exhibit about the woollen manufacturing
industry at a small regional museum. We would like to include wool
at various stages of development, starting with raw wool, to show to
visitors how the machines process it. The curator is reluctant to
use raw wool within the exhibit as someone told him a few years ago
that it would attract pests, (though completed textile pieces are
regularly displayed in the museum). Does anyone have advice on what
could be done to treat raw wool so that it would not pose a threat
to other artefacts in the space? If not, does anyone have ideas on
how to realistically recreate wool?

Megan McIntosh (Student)
Algonquin College, Applied Museum Studies

                 Distributed: Sunday, November 29, 2009