Subject: Storing candy

Storing candy

From: Lydia Egunnike <lydia.egunnike<-at->
Date: Monday, November 23, 2009
I have been asked by one of our collection managers how long boiled
lollies (i.e rock candy) will last before deterioration occurs. Our
repository runs at 21 deg.C, 50% RH. The lollies will remain in
their original plastic bags and then sealed in a monitored anoxic
enclosure (Cryovac/Ageless package). Does anyone have any data or
experience with long term storage of this type of collection
material?

Lydia Egunnike
Senior Conservator, Conservation Unit
Collection Preservation