Subject: Mounting artistic wallpapers

Mounting artistic wallpapers

From: Daniel Hogger <daniel.hogger<-at->
Date: Monday, November 16, 2009
I am currently in the process of preparing the largest wallpaper
exhibition the Whitworth Art Gallery (University of Manchester) has
undertaken. Our usual way to display our exhibits and loans is in
single hangs in specially designed wallpaper display boxes.

For this exhibition we are also purchasing a number of Artistic
wallpapers, which we wish to hang in multiple drops to allow us to
show the repeating pattern.

With this in mind I am trying to develop a strategy, which will
allow me to construct panels ranging in sizes from 2.5m x 1m to 2.5m
x 3m that we can paste our papers onto.

At present I am thinking of using the stretched polyester and
Japanese paper support structure as discussed in "A new conservation
lining for historic wallpapers' by Philip Meredith, Mark Sandiford
and Phillipa Mapes.

I am enquiring if anybody has had experience in hanging multiple
drops in the past or know of any mounting techniques, which are
being used at present.

Daniel Hogger
Paper Conservator
The Whitworth Art Gallery