Subject: Filling termite galleries

Filling termite galleries

From: Daniel Cull <daniel.cull<-at->
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009
I am currently treating a wooden object from Papua New Guinea, that
has damage from termites.

I am looking for a method of filling the termite galleries in such a
way that they will provide structural support for the now fragile
overlying wooden surface. The fills need to be structural because
the object will be on open exhibit, so more simple cosmetic repairs
will not suffice.

I am looking for a method that will allow me to inject (or otherwise
fill) the galleries that are below the surface of the wood but not
directly accessible, I would like to do this in such a way that the
wood would not be damaged or discolored by the treatment.

I would be grateful for any information about potential conservation
methods, for readings related to the subject and for all experiences
related to this subject.

Daniel Cull
Assistant Conservator
MIM-Musical Instrument Museum