Subject: Vacuum cleaners

Vacuum cleaners

From: Patsy Orlofsky <textile<-at->
Date: Thursday, November 19, 2009
Cihat Uzun <objectconservation [at] yahoo__com> writes

>I work in the Dolmabahce Palace located in Istanbul, Turkey. We need
>a vacuum cleaner for cleaning museum objects such as porcelain,
>glass, furniture, upholstery, rug, and curtains. I found a machine
>called Nilfisk GM 80 but, in Turkey, it has no adjustable suction
>system. Is there any vacuum cleaner that you can recommend?

The Nilfisk GS 80 can be retrofitted with a variable speed control.
It is sold as a separate unit and can be easily installed by a
novice.  Nilfisk can send you the small box unit which can be
mounted onto the HEPA filter. It costs around $367.50.  A pesky
issue is that the variable speed control unit only works on 60
Hertz.  I know that Turkey runs with 50 hertz, which would mean
using an adapter.  You can purchase an adapter which allows you to
put a 60 hertz plug into a 50 hertz adapter and then into the wall.

Patsy Orlofsky, Director
Textile Conservation Workshop

                 Distributed: Friday, November 20, 2009