Subject: 19th century bookbinders' marks

19th century bookbinders' marks

From: Robert J. Milevski <milevski<-at->
Date: Monday, November 9, 2009
I am editing and expanding a typescript on 19th century UK
bookbinders and their signed bindings written by a deceased London
bookseller in the late 1970s. The bookseller wrote about 150 binders
(mostly working in London) whose signed bindings he had seen,
whether on publishers, edition, or bespoke bindings. So far, I have
gathered digital images of more than 300 different examples of
tickets, pressure stamps, pallet stamps (in blind, ink, and gold and
silver), stamped covers and spines, and printed signatures on
endpapers and versos of title pages, but I am missing the marks of a
number of binders on my list. Some binders signed bindings in
several ways and regularly changed the designs of their signatures.
I hope to complete this work within a year and to have it published.

I am asking for assistance in finding examples of the signed
bindings that I am missing. Descriptions of what I am missing is at

    <URL:http://www.princeton.edu/~milevski/Signed_Bindings.htm>

If you have books with these signatures in them, please let me know.
I would then ask if you could supply--in addition to bibliographic
info about the book--sharp, 300dpi resolution images of the
following: front cover, the part of the book where the mark is found
(cover, spine, pastedown, turn-in, flyleaf, etc.), and
close-up/macro image of the mark. (I will travel to institutions
between New York and Philadelphia to do the work myself, assuming
you allow digital photography in your reading room using at least
existing light and a tripod.) If you send images, I would ask for de
facto permission to use the images (with credit to you and your
institution) in my book.

One important aspect of my book is that I will also list all the
books in which I have found a particular binder's mark, anywhere
from one to more than twenty titles. For example, if you look at my
website on the signed/ticketed bindings of the London bookbinding
firm James Burn and Co., you will see that this has been done there,
particularly the second link below.

    <URL:http://www.princeton.edu/
        ~milevski/Burn/Burn_Ticket_Index_2.html>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.
    <URL:http://www.princeton.edu/~milevski/Burn/Ball_20Av.htm>

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian
Princeton University Library
One Washington Road