Subject: Salzburg Declaration

Salzburg Declaration

From: Kavitha Struber <kstruber<-at->
Date: Saturday, November 14, 2009
Salzburg Declaration on the Conservation and Preservation of
Cultural Heritage
Salzburg, Austria

On the occasion of the Salzburg Global Seminar session on Connecting
to the World's Collections: Making the Case for the Conservation and
Preservation of our Cultural Heritage, sixty cultural heritage
leaders from the preservation sector representing thirty-two nations
around the world shared experiences to address the sustainability of
cultural heritage.

The Assembly:

    Recognizes that our global cultural heritage strengthens
    identities, well-being, and respect for other cultures and
    societies,

    Affirms that cultural heritage is a powerful tool to engage
    communities positively and, as such, is a driving force for
    human development and creativity,

    Reaffirms that an appreciation of diverse cultural heritage and
    its continuity for future generations promote  mutual
    understanding between people, communities, and nations,

    Acknowledges that although we have made tremendous gains in the
    cultural heritage sector in education, facilities, new
    technologies, and partnerships, our global cultural heritage is
    threatened by continuing deterioration and loss resulting from a
    shortage of trained conservation practitioners, natural and
    man-made emergencies and environmental risks, including climate
    change, and limited investment, and

    Recommends that governments, non-governmental organizations, the
    cultural heritage sector, communities, and other stakeholders
    work together to:

    *   Integrate conservation projects with other sectors to
        provide a lever for social and economic development,

    *   Commit to increased community engagement and raise public
        awareness regarding at-risk cultural heritage,

    *   Strengthen the investment in research, networking,
        educational opportunities, and the exchange of knowledge and
        resources globally, and

    *   Promote responsible stewardship and advance sustainable
        national/regional conservation policies and strategies,
        including risk management.

The deliberations at the Salzburg Global Seminar for the
Conservation and Preservation of Cultural Heritage have established
a new collaborative platform to more effectively preserve the
world's cultural heritage and address global challenges now and in
the future.

The Assembly thanks the Salzburg Global Seminar and the Institute of
Museum and Library Services in Washington, DC for initiating,
organizing, hosting, and supporting the conference co-chaired by
Vinod Daniel (Australian Museum) and Debra Hess Norris (University
of Delaware, USA).

    <URL:http://www.salzburgglobal.org/>
        2009/index.cfmkstruber<-at->SalzburgGlobal<.>org>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Kavitha Struber (Ms.)
Program Associate