Subject: Alcohol and proteins

Alcohol and proteins

From: Brenna Campbell <bcampbell<-at->
Date: Thursday, November 5, 2009
As part of a large campaign of pigment consolidation, we are
investigating the effect of alcohol on proteins.  Many of our
consolidants (gelatin, isinglass) and the objects we are treating
(medieval manuscripts with parchment textblocks) are proteinaceous.
Our preliminary literature review suggests that alcohol will
permanently denature proteins, but we have had little success
locating conservation-specific research on this topic.

We are looking for information relating to the effect of alcohol on
parchment, as well as information on the effectiveness of
proteinaceous consolidants when mixed with alcohol.

Additionally, we are curious about solvents or additives other than
ethanol and isopropanol that might be used to enhance penetration of
a consolidant.

Brenna Campbell, Im Chan, Elodie Leveque
The Morgan Library and Museum
New York, NY

Brenna Campbell
Sherman Fairchild Fellow