Subject: A death

A death

From: Scott Carrlee <scott.carrlee<-at->
Date: Friday, November 6, 2009
Toby Raphael

I know many of us in the conservation community are shocked and
saddened by the passing of Toby Raphael.  Toby was one of my heroes
in conservation and I often sought his advice.  The first time I
spoke with him was when I was still in training and he explained, in
great detail, the reasons and mechanisms for "fatty spews" on
leather items.  Toby succeeded in bridging the divide between the
real and the ideal world of conservation.  His diplomatic skills
re-opened many doors that had been shut by unyielding conservation
attitudes.  Toby taught me to look at the big picture of
conservation and his teachings continue to influence my work.  We
lost a great one today.

    **** Moderator's comments: From an obituary
    by Richard F. Belisle,
    Shepherdstown, W.Va
    The Herald Mail, November 5, 2009

    Retired National Park Service senior conservator Toby Raphael
    dies
    <URL:http://www.herald-mail.com/
        ?cmd=displaystory&story_id=233679&format=html>

   "Services will be Nov. 14, 2009 at 2 pm at the Presbyterian
    Meeting Hall, and followed by a pot luck reception at the
    Raphael Taylor home on Billmyer Road.

   "In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the St. Joseph's
    Catholic Church Hispanic outreach service program"

Scott Carrlee
Curator of Museum Services
Alaska State Museums

                 Distributed: Friday, November 6, 2009