Subject: Wax objects

Wax objects

From: Elizabeth Rydzewski <eryd323<-at->
Date: Sunday, October 25, 2009
Laura Louise Curtis <l.curtis [at] pgrad__unimelb__edu__au> writes

>I am a MA student with the University of Melbourne and am currently
>completing a treatment on a small wax model of the developmental
>stages of the human eye.  The treatment requires the reattachment of
>a broken fragment (about 2mm thick) to the model.  I wanted to
>inquire about the methods of reattachment/adhesives others have
>used.

I have recently completed treatment on two small figures made out of
beeswax.  After testing several adhesives, I found that Paraloid
B-72 in ethanol works well with adhering wax to wax.  Fish glue also
worked very well.  I hope this helps.

Beth Rydzewski
Student, Winterthur/University of Delaware Program in Art
    Conservation
Third-year conservation intern
Museum Resource Division
New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs

                 Distributed: Friday, October 30, 2009