Subject: 19th century microscopes

19th century microscopes

From: Jean D. Portell <jeandp<-at->
Date: Friday, October 23, 2009
Anne Lane <alane [at] charlottemuseum__org> writes

>I was recently contacted by a local biologist who collects old
>microscopes. This is an excerpt from his email to me:
>If you can suggest a conservator who might talk to him, or some
>publications that would be of use to him, I would appreciate your
>letting me know. I will be happy to pass the information on to him.

The best sources for practical information about old microscopes are
likely to be members of a microscopy society or club, some of whom
may be very knowledgeable about specific instruments, and perhaps
even competent at making repairs. The usual caveats apply: check
each person being considered for this sort of work for evidence of
suitable prior experience in making similar repairs, and for
evidence that he or she is aware of conservation ethics and would
agree to adhere to them.

Some members of AIC are also members of microscopy societies,
however I am not aware that any of these people is a conservator of
microscopes.

A hyperlinked list of societies can be found at the Molecular
Expressions website that is managed by Dr. Michael W. Davidson, of
the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (NHMFL), Florida State
University, Tallahassee, Florida. The URL for the "Molecular
Expressions Microscopy Primer: Microscopy Societies on the Web" page
is:

    <URL:http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/resources/societies.html>

Jean D. Portell
13 Garden Place