Subject: 19th century microscopes

19th century microscopes

From: Anne Lane <alane<-at->
Date: Thursday, October 15, 2009
I was recently contacted by a local biologist who collects old
microscopes. This is an excerpt from his email to me:

   "My collecting has focused on English microscopes produced during
    the 19th century. I have more than 60 instruments now and many
    are signed, museum quality. I know some of the basics on
    microscope conservation but was wondering if you could recommend
    any books or other sources of information? I have a couple of
    examples that need some real TLC but my motto when working with
    old microscopes is first and foremost 'do no harm'."

If you can suggest a conservator who might talk to him, or some
publications that would be of use to him, I would appreciate your
letting me know. I will be happy to pass the information on to him.

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager
The Charlotte Museum of History
3500 Shamrock Drive
Charlotte NC 28215
704-568-1774, ext 110
Fax: 704-566-1817

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 21, 2009