Subject: Embroidery adhered to wooden panel

Embroidery adhered to wooden panel

From: Paulette Reading <paulette.reading<-at->
Date: Friday, October 16, 2009
I have received for treatment a contemporary Japanese embroidery. It
is a portrait, finely worked on a silk background. The embroidery
threads are also most likely silk. The embroidery is mounted to a
wooden plywood panel. It is adhered overall with an unknown
adhesive.

Some yellow discoloration is beginning to show through onto the
unworked silk fabric. I do not know if it is staining from the
adhesive or some kind of migration from the wood. Either way, I do
not know how or if I could remove the textile from the panel safely.

If it can be removed from its mount, I think that would be the best
way to go to prevent further staining. Does anyone have experience
with this? As of now, I can only recommend to the owner that it be
displayed in a stable environment behind UV-protective glass to slow
whatever reaction might be occurring. I would like to offer him more
information or options if possible.

Paulette Reading
Textile Conservation

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 21, 2009