Subject: Paint blistering

Paint blistering

From: Mark McPheters <mcpheter<-at->
Date: Saturday, October 10, 2009
The Fairfield Maine Historical Society has a historic building. The
building built in 1894 it is a Victorian building once used as a
home and now volunteers maintain it as a non-profit museum and
research center.

The three story building was painted five years ago and started
blistering the next year. We are planning on painting the house
again next year and would welcome suggestions.

We used an acrylic paint supplied by a well-known manufacturer with
a primer made and recommended by the same manufacture. Half of one
side of the house on the South side had new clapboards. These
clapboards painted at the same time did not blister. The clapboards
on the rest of the house are in excellent condition with some firmly
attached lead based paint on them but the paint put on five years
ago is coming off in pieces as large as your hand.

If the blisters are caused by the expansion of the paint while
elastic, how is this prevented?

Could there be a problem between the paint and the paint primer on
old wood?

Mark McPheters
A director of the Fairfield Historical Society

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 13, 2009