Subject: The British Library Preservation Advisory Centre

The British Library Preservation Advisory Centre

From: Helen Shenton <helen.shenton<-at->
Date: Monday, September 21, 2009
British Library Preservation Advisory Centre - the new name for the
National Preservation Office

The British Library Preservation Advisory Centre is the new name for
the National Preservation Office (NPO). The change of name follows
the NPO's recent integration with the British Library Collection
Care department and heralds the start of a new period of development
for preservation services.

The Preservation Advisory Centre will build on the NPO's
achievements of the past 25 years, and the successes of the recently
opened BL Centre for Conservation, providing a focus for
preservation and increasing opportunities for libraries and archives
of all types and sizes to equip themselves with the skills and
knowledge to meet the challenges of caring for collections in the
21st century.

Offering training, free information services and its unique
Preservation Assessment Survey, the Preservation Advisory Centre
provides practical support on preservation management issues to
address the major threats to the UK's library and archive
collections identified in the NPO's 2006 report, Knowing the Need.

Activities span a range of free and charged services including:

    Free information resources in print and to download
    Preservation training courses
    Preservation Assessment Survey services
    Preservation visits
    An enquiry service

Caroline Peach has been appointed to lead the organisation in its
new form. Recently interim Chief Executive of Icon, the Institute of
Conservation, she brings experience of working at London
Metropolitan Archives, Oxford University Library Services and the
London Museums Hub. Caroline said, "I am delighted to be joining the
British Library Preservation Advisory Centre. I am looking forward
to working with partners across the sector to inspire organisations
of all sizes to take part in preservation activities. I am
particularly pleased that we will soon be able to offer a new
programme of preservation training thanks to the collaboration and
funding of the British Library and Research Libraries UK".

Helen Shenton, Head of Collection Care at the British Library said,
"The integration of the NPO with the British Library as the British
Library Preservation Advisory Centre marks a significant development
for Collection Care at the British Library. The events and services
provided by the Preservation Advisory Centre complement the
successful public programmes offered by the BL Centre for
Conservation. Sharing knowledge to address preservation needs and to
build capacity within the Library and Archive sectors is fundamental
to ensure the future accessibility of collections. I am delighted
that the Preservation Advisory Centre is leading on these issues."

For more information please contact Caroline Peach
<caroline.peach<-at->bl<.>uk> or visit <URL:http://www.bl.uk/npo>

The British Library Preservation Advisory Centre will be
establishing an e-newsletter. If you would like to receive this
newsletter, please send an email to blpac<-at->bl<.>uk with the word
'subscribe' in the subject line.

               Distributed: Thursday, September 24, 2009