Subject: Prehistoric woodborers

Prehistoric woodborers

From: Evangelia Kyriazi <evangelia_kyriazi<-at->
Date: Monday, June 8, 2009
    author.

I am starting a new paper on prehistoric organisms that make holes
on wood, particularly larvae and birds, and organisms that either eat
leaves or make circular marks on their surface. I am currently
studying some holes in silicified tree trunks, and imprints of
angiosperm leaves on volcanic tuff that have both insect bites and
circular marks that look like some kind of disease.

Has anyone come across similar fossils? I am looking for any
information that would help identify such animals that lived 20
million years ago.

Evangelia Kyriazi
Natural History Museum
of the Lesvos Petrified Forest