Subject: CoOL and the Conservation DistList

CoOL and the Conservation DistList

From: Walter Henry <request<-at->
Date: Wednesday, June 10, 2009
It has been a great pleasure and privilege to work with this
community and I look forward to finding ways to continue to do so.
I've always held that conservation professionals were, as a class,
unusually committed to the cause they serve; we really do care
deeply about the cultural materials we are lucky enough to work
with, and that care takes form in a remarkable dedication to the
profession, to the ethical foundations upon which it is built, and
to the community of practitioners from whatever discipline or
specialty.

So, at the beginning of what would have been the DistList's twenty
third year it is with great sadness, but also with some sense of
pride, that I finally give up this enterprise and that of
Conservation OnLine as a whole.  I don't know exactly what will
happen to the resources here but I have every faith that their fate
will be in good hands.

I would like to thank, with all sincerity, Stanford University
Libraries and Academic Information Resources, my own department, the
systems and IT staff, and most of all the directorate, who have been
unfalteringly supportive of my work all these years, and I know
would continue to be so were the world in just a little better shape
than it is now.

As DistList tradition demands, I leave you a final accounting:  As
of this day, the Conservation DistList comprises 9696 people from at
least 91 countries. Conservation OnLine contains, at a very rough
guess, 120,000 documents, possibly quite a few more.  I hope they
have been useful to you all, and I hope to be of service to you as
we move into the future.

onward,
walter

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 11, 2009