Subject: Chlorides in ceramics

Chlorides in ceramics

From: Dennis Piechota <dennis.piechota<-at->
Date: Friday, June 5, 2009
When desalinating ceramics we typically measure bath water TDS
conductivity or chloride concentration to infer residual chlorides
and determine the end of treatment. Has anyone used say, direct
spectrographic measurements of the dried desalinated ceramics, to
record the actual residual chlorine levels in a desalinated pot and
to compare it with the final bath water concentrations of soluble
chlorides? (Someone must have. I just can't find a reference to it.)

Dennis Piechota
Conservator
Fiske Center for Archaeological Research
UMass Boston
Office: 617-287-6829

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 7, 2009