Subject: Hand sanitizer

Hand sanitizer

From: Phil Geis <geis.pa<-at->
Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Iona McCraith <preservation [at] ruralwave__ca> writes

>Jess Ahmon <jess.ahmon [at] nationalarchives__gsi__gov__uk> writes

>>will be installing hand sanitizer dispensers in all staff and public
>>toilets. ...
>
>My inclination is that this is not a good thing, since researchers
>handle archival records directly in many instances ...
>So my question is, has anyone else had to deal with this demand in
>our age of viruses and pandemic flu and if so how did you address
>the conservation versus health concerns? ...

There is no need to add sanitizers to hygiene habits in the
bathroom. As the CDC <URL:http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1FLU/> says:

    Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you
    cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also
    effective.

Simple handwashing with soap and water is effective as it always has
been for toilet hygiene.  If sanitizers are added--they should be
cited outside of the bathroom for folks to use after sneezing etc.
when they're not so likely to walk down the hall to the restroom for
soap and water.

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 7, 2009