Subject: Adhesive for archaeological ceramics

Adhesive for archaeological ceramics

From: Helena Jaeschke <helena.jaeschke<-at->
Date: Friday, May 29, 2009
Sabine Zimmer asked about the use of Archaeocoll adhesive for
low-fired archaeological ceramics.  According to Kremer Pigments,
Archaeocoll is a "pure cellulose nitrate".  Since the instability of
cellulose nitrate is well known, even in the absence of
plasticizers, I would recommend that the practice of using Paraloid
B72 (which Sabine was using in Berlin) is adopted instead.  I have
been using Paraloid B72 for the consolidation of poorly fired
archaeological ceramics (and the assembly of fragments) for more
than 30 years and have not found any problems with items treated
this way decades ago.

Archaeocoll:

    <URL:http://www.kremerpigments.com/
        shopus/PublishedFiles/98500e.pdf?
        sidFEE4B14F27014E7795A5F1BD0DD62743
        =05c4b271795105f26ea1b00e822c2b6c>

Archaeocoll was not cited in the Getty Publication on Cellulose
Nitrate in conservation

    <URL:http://www.getty.edu/
        conservation/publications/pdf_publications/nitrate.pdf>

but this publication provides a very useful foundation.

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URLs have been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newlines.

I hope this helps,

Helena Jaeschke