Subject: New list: pXRF for Conservators

New list: pXRF for Conservators

From: Dennis Piechota <dennis.piechota<-at->
Date: Thursday, June 4, 2009
We would like to announce "pXRF for Conservators" a new email
distribution list for conservators who use handheld x-ray
fluorescence analyzers in the course of their work. The thoughtful
use of this analytical tool can give rise to many questions, some of
which go unasked because they may seem too basic or repetitive. Some
answers may be only partially understood because of the complexity
of the underlying science, technology or the vagaries of particular
manufacturers' equipment. This is the place to ask those questions
and to unpack those complex answers.

We hope this will be a useful addition to your existing sources of
information on this powerful technology. To help with the answers
we've also invited conservation scientists and technical
representatives of several pXRF vendors to take part in the
discussions.

In addition to our discussions, we hope to start collaborative
projects to be developed, used and shared by our group members. Our
first projects are a bibliography on pXRF applications to cultural
heritage and a member notebook of our discussions.

The distribution list is hosted by Google Groups and works best if
you have or create a free gmail account. You do not have to use that
email account to log in. Google uses it along with your primary
email address as a basic form of identity verification.

To join the group please go to:

    <URL:http://groups.google.com/group/pxrf>

If you need a Google account you can do that at:

    <URL:https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount>

Dennis Piechota
Conservator
Fiske Center for Archaeological Research
UMass Boston

Vanessa Muros
Research Associate
UCLA/Getty Conservation Program