Subject: Adhesive for archaeological ceramics

Adhesive for archaeological ceramics

From: Sabine Zimmer <sab.zim<-at->
Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009
I am working on a low-burned ceramic object from Billendorfer Kultur
(early Iron Age). This is my Diploma project for Object Conservation
at the Hochschule fur Technik und Wirtschaf" in Berlin. At
University we often used Paraloid B-72 for glueing and Mowithal B30H
to stabilise the breaking edges. At the Museum which owns the object
they use Archaocoll 2000. My question now is: does anyone have
experience working with Archaocoll? How are the ageing
characteristics? Does it change colour with time? Is it still
reversible after a certain period of time?

Does anyone have good experience with an other adhesive for
low-burned ceramics?

I would be very thankful for any treatment tips.

Sabine Zimmer
HTW (Hochschule fur Technik und Wirtschaft) Berlin

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 28, 2009