Subject: Hand sanitizer

Hand sanitizer

From: Iona McCraith <preservation<-at->
Date: Saturday, May 23, 2009
Jess Ahmon <jess.ahmon [at] nationalarchives__gsi__gov__uk> writes

>will be installing hand sanitizer dispensers in all staff and public
>toilets. The product chosen by our Facilities department is a foam
>which is colourless but contains 'hand conditioners' which leave a
>slightly oily residue on the skin. Does anyone know of a hand
>sanitizer which does not contain any moisturisers? Ideally we would
>like to source a product that has no colouring, perfume or skin
>conditioners.

My inclination is that this is not a good thing, since researchers
handle archival records directly in many instances (i.e not always
with gloves on)  I know the obvious solution would be to make them
wear gloves but this is not the reality of life in an archives.

So my question is, has anyone else had to deal with this demand in
our age of viruses and pandemic flu and if so how did you address
the conservation versus health concerns?  Would this product likely
leave a residue on the skin that could transfer to archival records
when handled?

The brand is "Endure 300 Cida-Rinse Gel Antimicrobial Hand Rinse".
The MSDS sheet lists only two ingredients: ethanol and propan-2-ol
(a form of isopropyl alcohol), so presumably these are the only
ingredients that are actually controlled substances.

The bottle itself lists the following as ingredients:

    isopropyl alcohol
    carbomer (which I'm assuming refers to the acrylic acid polymer
    mentioned here
        <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbomer>)
     propylene glycol
     aminomethyl propanol