Subject: Angelica Rudenstine retires

Angelica Rudenstine retires

From: Kenneth Hamma <khamma<-at->
Date: Friday, May 15, 2009
Since 1993 the Mellon Foundation's program in Museums and Art
Conservation has been led, as you know, with extraordinary
distinction and energy by Angelica Rudenstine. She has already left
a series of indelible marks on the world of museums and art
conservation, among them the strengthening of curatorial and
scholarly capacity at both senior and junior levels in major art
museums; the deepening of the academic engagement of college and
universify art museums; the identification of needs in the area of
photographic conservation and the creation of programs to meet those
needs; the development of science within art conservation, bringing
to bear the highest level of scientific expertise; the strengthening
of advanced conservation training programs, and the creation and
support of positions for conservators in a wide range of
institutions. Much more could be said about her ability to bring
together professionals at the highest level to pursue issues in
which conservation, science, and art historical scholarship
intersect powerfully. Each of us could add still more from our
personal work with her and will be able to let her know how very
much we value what she has accomplished.

I write now to let you know that Angelica will retire from the
Foundation in March of 2010 until which time she will be fully
engaged in pursuing current and emerging initiatives. When she steps
down, she will be greatly missed by her colleagues at the
Foundation, as well as by you and your colleagues in the flreld more
broadly. I want to assure you, however, that the Foundation expects
to maintain its strong commitment to museums and art conservation
even as it makes the transition to new leadership in this program.
'We will be eager to hear your views on how the Foundation mieht
best continue its service to these constituencies.

    -- Don M. Randel

Kenneth Hamma
310-270-8008
khamma<-at->me<.>com