Subject: Food products in museum collections

Food products in museum collections

From: Alex Roach <alroach<-at->
Date: Thursday, May 14, 2009
Beatrice Colastin Skokan <bskokan [at] miami__edu> writes

>I was asked to add a wrapped cookie to one of our archival
>collections and am very hesitant to proceed without further
>guidance. Are there preservation methods/guidelines for adding food
>items to collections? ...

You should probably seal the cookie in either a jar or a similar
air-tight container, or alternatively seal it in high-barrier film.
Depending on the cookie's origin it may also be worthwhile freezing
it first to ensure any insects inside are killed first, or you could
add an oxygen scavenger to the jar/bag.

And can I just add, mmm...cookies

Alex Roach
Heritage Pest Management