Subject: Food products in museum collections

Food products in museum collections

From: Thomas A. Parker <bugman22<-at->
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Beatrice Colastin Skokan <bskokan [at] miami__edu> writes

>I was asked to add a wrapped cookie to one of our archival
>collections and am very hesitant to proceed without further
>guidance. Are there preservation methods/guidelines for adding food
>items to collections? ...

Most real food items on display are usually treated with a heavy
application of a flat or semi-flat clear acrylic of polyethylene
coating. You can dip the cookie or spray it several times. This
keeps them unattractive to most pests.

Tom Parker

                   Distributed: Friday, May 15, 2009