Subject: Zero MDF

Zero MDF

From: Victoria Gill <victoria.gill<-at->
Date: Tuesday, May 5, 2009
I am seeking advice from anyone who has done research on the zero
MDF. I am trying to discuss options for showcases which have had
Zero MDF placed in the floor and the back of the showcase. The
showcase fabric has already been used, *before* consulting a
conservator. I now have the impossible job of mitigating the off
gassing effects.

Unfortunately the showcases are intended for Asian silk cloths with
metal threads and silver jewelry. Yes the entire exhibition is of
highly sensitive material. The showcases are entirely sealed and
they have a closed humidity controlled system (Munters MG 50
Desiccant gel dehumidifiers). I must convince the bean counters that
it is worth the cost to remove the cloth and barrier seal the MDF or
replace it. I am considering the barrier recommendation be wrapping
boards in "Intercept" plastic. However drilling for furniture mounts
will perforate the "Intercept" in places and a total seal will not
be entirely possible. Any experience with the dehumidifiers would
also be helpful, this exhibition is in Asia and they have spent a
fortune on products with no prior conservation advice. I can't see
how gels will be practical in the tropics.  Any supporting sources
to convince the project managers will be greatly appreciated.

Victoria Gill
Conservator in private practice
Manila

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 5, 2009