Subject: Waxes for metal

Waxes for metal

From: Robert B. Faltermeier <info<-at->
Date: Monday, April 27, 2009
For the protection of metals, various waxes and their mixtures have
been recommended. I think top of the list is "Renaissance Wax".
Which apparently contains polyethylene waxes, and I was told that
they are insoluble in solvents and can not be completely removed
once dry. This is of concern when treating porous metals. Does
anyone know anything about this? Cause it would suggest a buildup of
PE wax on outdoor sculptures when maintained with this wax. It also
does not hold up well other than in a controlled museum environment.
I have personally heard and seen 2 cases where the wax failed within
months on outdoor sculptures.

I have used Cosmolloid 80 for several years successfully on indoor
material and it apparently does not contain polyethylene waxes.

The use of other high melting point pure microcrystalline waxes were
also very protective however these were no name brands and direct
from the industry.

Lately I have been experimenting with Tree Wax it contains carnauba
and seems to be very durable, however the manufacturer will not
release the composition not even roughly. Does anyone know the
composition of Tree Wax or Butchers Bowling Alley Wax and has long
term experience in its in and outdoor usage?

Dr. Robert B. Faltermeier
Blk 46 Seng Poh Road #02-72
Singapore 161046
+65 8168 6096