Subject: Lightcheck strips

Lightcheck strips

From: Jerry Shiner <info<-at->
Date: Monday, April 27, 2009
Charlotte Owen <charlotte_owen2 [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am a Conservation Masters student about to embark on some light
>tests in a local historic house for my research thesis. I have been
>looking at using Lightcheck strips as the duration of the study will
>be about 2 months.

LightCheck cumulative exposure strips indicate the quantity of light
they have absorbed by changing colour. The resulting colour change
will depend on the intensity and duration of the light. These are
the only two variables that are usually considered. The strips are
fairly sensitive; a few hours (or less) in sunlight will bleach the
strips completely, while exposure in a very dimly lit environment
may take weeks to change appreciably.

A LightCheck strip can be an excellent warning device, and may prove
very useful to demonstrate to others that light levels are
excessive, but note that all the LightCheck itself will ultimately
do is to roughly indicate that there has been "X" total Lux Hours
light exposure (over "Y" days).

Is this study concerned with the intensity, duration, or quality of
light, or all three? Will in be necessary to measure the light flux
at different times of day or under different weather or
environmental conditions? The study may be better done with a
metering instrument, or a series of LightCheck exposures and a
rigorous plan. More information about the LightCheck strips may be
found at

    <URL:http://www.keepsafe.ca>

The UK source is

    <URL:http://www.lightcheck.co.uk>