Subject: Terminology

Terminology

From: William P. Lull <wpl1<-at->
Date: Sunday, April 26, 2009
Jennifer Barnett <reginatextilia [at] orange__fr> writes

>During a current revision job, I was confronted with the term 'life
>expectancy' applied to paper archive objects and set to searching
>for an accurate alternative for this incorrect term: objects are not
>alive. ...

For archival papers, I usually use the term "service life."  This is
how long the paper object can be in service for archival research.

It has reached the end of it's "service life" when it can no longer
be handled without the expectation of damage.  It must then be
conserved or reformatted.  Most all archivists know when this is,
even if they are not trained conservators.

William P. Lull, President
Garrison/Lull Inc.
PO Box 459
Princeton Junction NJ 08550