Subject: Enzymes

Enzymes

From: Sue Gatenby <sueg<-at->
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Geny Scorsetti <geny.scorsetti [at] libero__it> writes

>I am writing my thesis at the conservation school Enaip of Botticino
>in Italy on the use of enzymes. I turn to the Conservation DistList
>for help in finding articles and examples of works carried on with
>enzymatic methodologies especially towards wooden objects

At the Australian Museum, (Sydney, Australia) in the 1990's  some
research was carried our on the potential use of enzymes for the
removal of black fungal staining from wooden objects . A number of
papers were produced such as:

    Sue Gatenby.
    An Investigation into cleaning procedures for mould stained
    Australian aboriginal objects
    ICOM committee for Conservation,9th Triennial Meeting, Dresden,
    26-31 August 1990: preprints pp157-162;

    Enzymatic breakdown and decolourisation of black fungus embedded
    in acrylic paint: a progress report.
    AICCM Bulletin, vol 17.No 3-4-1991, pp53-61.

Fungal Facts by Mary-Lou Florian covers this topic of enzymes as
well and Richard Wolbers also has done an enormous amount of
research and publications on this topic and if my memory serves me
well I think that furniture is also covered.

Sue Gatenby
Conservation Scientist
Preservation Department
Powerhouse Museum