Subject: Manuscript damaged by water

Manuscript damaged by water

From: Chao-Chun Lu <lucc<-at->
Date: Monday, April 27, 2009
The paper conservation studio in my museum encounter some
water-damaged issues, which we would like to ask for help.

Now the object is fragile with dry and brittle condition. It's form
is similar to palm leaf manuscript. All pages are heavily covered
with indigo, both sides are covered with inscriptions.

Several pages were stuck in the middle. I believe there has been
some type of coating layer previously applied on the surface, which
makes it very difficult to be separated.

I wonder has anyone previously encounter anything similar to this
one. Any types of recommendations and solutions will be highly
appreciated.

Chao-Chun Lu
Department of Conservation and Preservation
National Palace Museum
No.221, Chih-shan Rd., Sec. 2,
Shih-lin District
Taipei, R.O.C. (Taiwan)