Subject: Sticky film on sepia diazotypes

Sticky film on sepia diazotypes

From: Karen Potje <kpotje<-at->
Date: Monday, April 20, 2009
At the CCA we have discovered a large group (hundreds) of sepia
diazotypes, each of which has a small (4 x 6 inches) rectangle of
transfer film applied to the verso which bears the title of the
project and other project information. This film is degrading,
oozing and sticky.  As a result, the plans stick together, and
sticky residue is being transferred to the rectos of adjacent
documents.  Any suggestions on what to do?  We don't have enough
space in cold storage for all of this material, since the plans are
very large.  We don't want to remove the film because it is part of
the object and bears important information.  At the very least I'd
like to interleave the plans--with what?

Karen Potje
Chef, Service de la conservation/restauration
Centre Canadien d'Architecture
Montreal

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 26, 2009