Subject: AIC membership categories

AIC membership categories

From: Rebecca Pavitt <rebecca<-at->
Date: Monday, April 20, 2009
Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo [at] aol__com> writes

>... Thirdly, I think we need to find some way, and I admit
>I am at a loss to know what, to educate the public. ...

I am no expert, but perhaps one way to tackle this would be for some
of us to take on select marketing jobs.  For example I see that a
few valiant souls have started a Wikipedia entry for art
conservation.  That entry could certainly be built upon and would be
a great basis for general "name recognition" with the public.

Another thought is for those of us who are so inclined to contribute
regular articles to art and related publications. I don't subscribe,
but know that Maine Antique Digest had some very interesting
articles on objects conservation a while ago (these may still be
running) and here in Vancouver a group of us write a regular column
for Preview: the Gallery Guide. I'm sure there are others elsewhere
who do similar work.

The presentations don't have to be in big name publications
(although that would certainly be nice) but it helps to have them
appear regularly so that they create a small groove in people's
memory.  Then when the occasion arises, they remember that art
conservation exists, and there are professionals who do it.  I've
had people call me 10 years after they heard me speak, so things do
stick in the back of people's minds.

Marketing and Advertising doesn't have to be hugely expensive, just
constant.

Rebecca Pavitt
Fine Art Conservation
Sechelt, BC