Subject: Wax tablets

Wax tablets

From: Sonia Alice O'Connor <s.oconnor<-at->
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Karin Adriansson <karin.adriansson [at] passagen__se> writes

>I am writing my bachelor thesis on conservation at the University of
>Gothenburg in Sweden, on the conservation of wax tablets, and turn
>to the Conservation DistList for help in finding how the
>conservation of wooden wax tablets has been carried out through the
>years in different countries.

My colleagues and I at the York Archaeological Trust undertook the
conservation of a set of waxed wooden tablets in a leather case in
the early 1990's.

    O'Connor S. and Tweddle D., 1992, A set of waxed tablets from
    Swinegate, York in Lalou E. (ed),  Bibliologia 12, Les tablettes
    a ecrire de l' Antiquite a l' Epoque Moderne, 307-22.

    O'Connor S., 1990, The General Accident waxed tablets part II:
    The lost cord, and other missing parts!, Interim, 15/3, Bulletin
    of the York Archaeological Trust, 30-7.

    O'Connor S., 1989, Waxing lyrical (Swingate waxed wooden
    tablets), Interim, 14/4, Bulletin of the York Archaeological
    Trust, 36-9.

Dr Sonia O'Connor FSA FIIC ACR
Research Fellow in Conservation
Archaeological Sciences, Division of AGES
University of Bradford
Bradford, West Yorkshire BD7 1DP
+44 1274 236498
+44 1274 235210 (lab)