Subject: Wax paste composition for outdoor bronze

Wax paste composition for outdoor bronze

From: Vanessa Wiggin <vanessa<-at->
Date: Monday, April 20, 2009
Zee-Young Chin <zychin14 [at] hotmail__com> writes

>... One of our contacts working in the US told us several
>years ago to make our own wax using a ball mill. The ingredients
>were: Carnauba, beeswax, dammar in turpentine and lavender oil.

I would suggest it would be far easier and better to use a high
melting point microcrystalline wax on its own.  These can simply be
made into a paste with white spirits.  I use Be Square 195 which has
been tested and found to provide good protection for bronzes.

Vanessa Wiggin
Director of Conservation
ArtWorks Conservation
+61 8 9594 2420