Subject: Mold on wax resin lined paintings

Mold on wax resin lined paintings

From: Mary-Lou Florian <mflorian<-at->
Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009
Robert Proctor <robert [at] whittenandproctor__com> writes

>Helen A. Houp <helen [at] pixfix__org> writes
>
>>I am writing for advice on remediation treatment of mold found to be
>>present on the lining support of a wax-resin lined painting. ...
>
>There is a product called BacterArt(e) that is a non-woven,
>polypropylene, fabric impregnated with colloidal silver (that is, as
>far as I have been able to figure out). I believe it is manufactured
>in Spain. I bought some from University Products with the intent on

Are you sure it is fungi. Wax will bloom on surfaces and look like a
bluish grey mold. To check if it is just a bloom, use a Q-tip swab
and rub a small spot--only if it is conservation okay--back and
forth.  If it's a wax the bloom will disappear due to heat of
friction, if the color remains on G-tip it is fungal conidia.

Mary-Lou Florian

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 26, 2009