Subject: History of preventive conservation

History of preventive conservation

From: Hans-Christoph von Imhoff <xoph.von.imhoff<-at->
Date: Sunday, April 19, 2009
Mojdeh Momenzadeh <mojdehmomenzadeh [at] yahoo__com> writes

>I am doing research on preventive conservation and I am asked to
>include a section on history of preventive conservation. I searched
>a lot but could not find enough data on this. Does anyone have a
>suggestion for research resources?
>Greetings:

To write the history of preventive conservation is a work load
equivalent to far more than one PhD thesis. Two key points are: The
first international conference on Preventive Conservation was
convoked and organised by IIC with the assistance of CCI and held in
Ottawa, Canada from 12-16 September 1994, under the title
"Preventive conservation: Practice, Theory and Research". It starts
with an introductory paper by Manfred Koller, who lays out that this
is not a generally new concept, but dates back to Greek and Roman
antiquity. The congress' preprints may very well still be available
at the IIC's office in London (iic<-at->iiconservation<.>org). The term
preventive conservation can be found in conservation documents

In the 20th century, but as a independent conservation discipline it
only developed between 1975 and 1994.  During the ICOM-Triennial
Meeting 1990 in Dresden, Germany, and there within the working group
"Lighting and Climate Control" Stefan Michalski presented "An
overall framework for preventive conservation and remedial
conservation". The preprints of ICOM-CC of the Triennial conference
in Edinburgh in 1996 are the first to list an ICOM-CC working group
with the title "Preventive conservation".

The second key is that as of the mid-1970s one of preventive
conservations' most important conceivers, one major conceptual mind
behind it and behind many courses in this particular specialty at
ICCROM and worldwide, an indefatigable developer and promoter is
Gael de Guichen, former Assistant Director of ICCROM and despite
retirement still very active. You may contact him via the ICOM-CC
website <URL:http://www.icom-cc.org>, as he is at present member of
the directory board of ICOM-CC and will quite probably give you more
information than you may be able to put into your research report,
which I am looking forward to read.

Hans-Christoph von Imhoff
Strada principale 30
CH 7603 Vicosoprano