Subject: Color solubility in watercolors

Color solubility in watercolors

From: Gordon A Lewis <gal<-at->
Date: Thursday, April 16, 2009
I have a project in which I need some help. There are 13 watercolors
representing different bouquets of flowers. They are in need of wash
to remove some overall discoloration with heavy stains and deep mat
burns. After a thorough spot testing for water fastness only one of
the colors applied (a red), showed a tendency to seep through the
paper. But such tendency was strong enough to rethink about the
washing.

New spot tests were carried out to determine if any solvent could be
used (as a carrier of a resin) for a punctual fixation of the water
soluble color to allow the washing process. Ketones, Alcohols,
Aliphatic and Aromatic solvents, were tested. All of them were able
to dissolve the color, including cyclododocane. The above mentioned
high and quick solubility makes me think that I'm dealing with a dye
(no analytical pigment/dye identification available).

Is there anyway to fix a dye with these characteristics?

Amparo Escolano
The Fine Arts Conservancy, Inc.
5840 Corporate Way
West Palm Beach, FL 33407